Friday, October 31, 2008

It's Time

It was over a year ago that my unit dropped the news that we'd been slated for a tour in Afghanistan. At the time the news hit me like a fist, but over many, many months and the progression of life in all it's messy, painful, glory, I'd become numb to the fact of my impending trip.  When I left home three months ago to come to North Carolina for training, Afghanistan once again felt real. But that faded away after realizing we'd be here for months of low-quality training. It became a real necessity, for my own peace of mind, to just bury this trip way back, to make it almost a fantasy.
 
Two days it ago, though, it hit me. It's time. We're leaving. Now. Wow.
 
Here I am, sitting in a hangar at an air force base, guns and bags in hand, waiting for the green light to load up. Those of you who've been keeping up with this whole North Carolina mess will not be shocked to read that our plane is late! God bless America.
 
So, this is my last American posting for while. My trip to the 'Stan will span many countries over many days, so I'll update this page next time I find a computer. Wish me luck...

4 comments:

(d)avid said...

Good luck, Felipe! Post often so that we know you are safe (and get to enjoy your observations from afar).

Can you post your address so that we can send you care packages?

Anonymous said...

Good luck Felipe! I'll be prayin for you!!! Ditto what David wrote, Post OFTEN!!!!

Miss you much!

Unknown said...

What up Felipe!
Just got your info from Arif. Of course, the senseless struggle continues here. Do send your address and a wish list (back in the day I hated care packages full of stuff I didn't want or need). Great reading your writing, sounds like you. :-)))
Be safe.
jim

Anonymous said...

i heart luis. send address soon.

v.