Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Father Wears Combat Boots

Something about being in uniform seems to bring me back to church. And it's not the usual blessmelordsoIdon'tgetshot thing. It's more about finding a small escape, a little bit of peace amid the rumbling humvees, the screaming jets, and all the guns (although I do take a pistol to mass).
 
This base is terribly ugly. All old soviet bunkers, cheap wooden huts, barbed wire and diesel fumes. But the Chapel here is lovely. It's a big, airy, white building with wooden floors, comfy chairs, and exposed rafters.  It's even decorated for Christmas right now.  The priests are an old polish guy with coke bottle glasses and a younger East African firebrand. They're both great. They both wear camouflage and combat boots under their robes.  The band is surprisingly cool. They've got a choir with a couple of angel voiced female sailors, an old-school choir director who strums his little guitar with kumbaya earnestness, and a guitar and bass player who sound like they're trying out for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It's weird, but moving after a long week.
 
I'll admit that I find it a little hard to pray sometimes. I'll get into the groove and my mind starts wandering -- good music, good people, good times. But I figure the Big Guy's not jealous, and I imagine he'd smile to think of the love between my family,  my friends, and me. When I do settle in for a little prayer, I thank him for the people in my life, asks that he keep them safe, and ask that he helps them not worry about me. It's all about finding a little peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been assuming that eventually I'll respond to your earnestness with a heartfelt post- as opposed to my usual semi-sarcasm. But. . ."the band"????

Jesus Christ! literally. . .

On the other hand, moments of peace are surely especially important where you are, and your esteemed colleagues probably don't view yoga too tolerantly. . .

So rock on with Jesus!

And gey gezunteh heit, as my people would say.

Limes