Sunday, November 2, 2008

Krygyztan

Before last night, I was only vaguely aware that this was a real country. Turns out it's real. And rainy.
 
The military seems to not like doing stuff in straight lines, so we'll be here for a bit before catching our final plane into Afghanistan. We're staying at a small US Air Force Base that used to be a small Soviet Air Force base a couple of decades back.  It's a lot like the FOB back in North Carolina -- tents, barbed wire, armed guards, gravel roads -- except that this place is not make believe. 
 
Also, the management here is well aware that the setting sucks, so they bend over backwards to keep morale up. Chow's great (including a panini station and a fro-yo sundae bar). The gym is ginormous, looks like one of those Bally's ads on TV, and pumps motivational, base-heavy gym jams 24 hours.  There are at least 4 24-hour free Internet cafes (the filter's a nanny-monster, thoughEx. The Onion is deemed "obscene.") There's also a bar. Really. Except only Air Force folks can drink. Seems there've been too many drunk soldier incidents.
 
The trip here was weird. Everybody was clearly flipping out, but we all handle it differently. Some guys (including me), had their cell-phones glued to their ears until the stewardesses pried them away. Some folks lost themselves in their gadgets and games until their batteries died. Some guys did the thousand-yard stare. Some guys sang. One guy, no joke, whipped out a harmonica.
 
Maybe there's a method to the madness. Maybe we need a psychological buffer zone between the shock of leaving home and the shock of going to war. As purgatories go, I guess Kyrgyzstan ain't too bad.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Felipe, como estas amigo! This is Battalion Chief Pat Butler from the LAFD. Jim Featherstone sent me your link. I hope you don't mind if I keep up with your tour of duty via the blog.

I am attending the US Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA in pursuit of higher education. Some of my cohorts recently returned from their tour of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, I have the utmost respect and admiration for the folks serving in our armed forces.

Let me know if there is ANYTHING you need handled back home, family, etc.

Godspeed to you!

Pat Butler
patrick.butler@sbcglobal.net

Eve said...

Felipe,

Rob and I are thinking of you--giggling about the good times, looking forward to more. And we're praying.

xo, Eve

Anonymous said...

I dunno - do they really allow soldiers to wax poetic like this before they even get to their deployment? Sounds suspiciously like you're in a B&B in Maine trying to write a blog that sounds cool.

[No, your friends are not going to take it easy on you just because you might get shot at.]

We love you, though.

Limes

Unknown said...

Felipe! This is Natalie Stites, from the neighborhood. Bill Wood told me about your blog, so I tuned in. Bill & I went to law school together. Your blog is great.

Quieremos Nosotros Cambio...Barack is winning in the US, and I hope this means you will be coming home as soon as possible.

Be good. God is with you always,
Natalie

Anonymous said...

I always like this is type of article. Thank you.