Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Gov


Apparently, someone thinks I photoshopped myself into the last picture I posted. To avoid such slander, I leave myself out of this one.


The magnificent creature in this picture is none other than the Governor of my province. The reason I have a job here. The source of all my frustration. One of the most fascinating people I've ever come across. A mid-level warlord turned politician who I'd have mistaken for a caricature if not for the fact that we work together.

Case in point: we're in the most dangerous valley in our area the other day, sitting on the floor having lunch after a big deal traditional meeting with a bunch of local gray beards, trying to
convince them to get their kids to stop joining the Taliban and join the Afghan Army instead. Governor's there, the Afghan Army commander, some embassy folks, the Head graybeard, some ISAF folks (I snuck in and snagged a good piece of floor).


My commander, who thought the shindig was done and went to go put his armor back on, walks in late while everyone's got a mouthful of food. Governor looks up at him, points at the commander's kevlar crotch armor (the most embarrassing, but important, part of our gear) and asks, "what's that for?" Boss, not missing a beat, looks back and says "it's for my wife." "I walked these mountains for 30 years," the Gov says, "fought the Russians, fought the Taliban. I never wore one of those." "You're a hell of a fighter" says my boss, trying to salvage the exchange. "My wife will tell you what I'm better at," cackled the Gov in response.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, great story.

I miss you a ton man and think of you often.

--Alex S.