Monday, December 29, 2008

Despicable

If you know me, or have seen my past posts, or saw my Iraq pictures, then you know I've got a weakness for the kids. If you know me, or have seen my past posts, or have heard some of my darker Iraq stories, then you know I've got a particularly vivid fear/hatred of car bombs.
 
Which is why this story out of Southeast Afghanistan yesterday ht me square in the gut. Some SOB decided to blow himself and his SUV up at checkpoint. Fine. Desperation. Asymmetric warfare. Terrorism. Whatever.
 
He didn't much seem to much care about the predictably adorable bunch of grade-schoolers walking through the checkpoint on their way to school. Last day of the year, no less.
 
14 kids -- 8 to 10 year olds -- killed on the spot. Several adults killed. Dozens more injured. (need nightmare fodder? see the video)
 
Disgusting, despicable, worthless, soul-less, asshole.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Felipe,

I just saw a link to your blog from the Ephnotes. This was certainly a distressing post to read! I don't really know what to write. I graduated from Williams in 1999, too. And, I don't know what to say to thank you for what you are doing and to express my regret for the horrible things that happen in war, and to apologize for being so uninformed about the realities of the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. But, I wanted to let you know that you are helping to open my eyes. I will try to stop back at this blog to learn more over time. And, I saw that in one of your posts, you mentioned church . . . so I hope you won't mind that I will also say a prayer for you.

peace,
kate

Annaliis said...

Felipe,

Thanks for all you do. I'm an Eph too, class of 2001. I work for the Defense Department and think about you guys all the time (our mission, after all, is to support the warfighter, right? :) ) A friend of mine at work just got back from being on a shorter deployment over there.

Like you, I hate the senseless killing. There are some people out there who just can't stand to let other people make an informed decision that would mean that the warlords, drug dealers and terrorists wouldn't be in charge any more. Gives me plenty of reason to try to do my job as well as I can. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hey there primo how are u doing ??...omg that story was sad people are crazy!!!!..poor innocent kids ... i hope you are doing good ..I am Glad mayra gave me the link i WILL keep in contact.. i love u lots ...

your cousin
Erika ....Almader..